The Friends of the Howard Whittemore Memorial Library is a non-profit association. Its goal is to support the library and its staff by focusing public attention on library services, supporting the needs and facilities of the library, and stimulating the giving of gifts, endowments and bequests.
Fundraising events are conducted periodically by the Friends. Profits from these events are directed to the enhancement of the library collection, expansion and replacement of its equipment, and development of its programs.
The Friends are members of Friends of Connecticut Libraries. This group supports Friends organizations throughout the state.
Over the last few years, the Friends have provided:
1. Free passes or reduced cost passes to museums throughout the state
2. DVD and audio circuit in the Adult department
3. An e-Reader program
4. An email service for the library
5. New books for the adults and children
6. Twenty-five new chairs for the use during library events
7. Equipment including new computer for the adult library
8. Speakers for the annual meetings
The Friends’ organization is governed by a Board of Directors which includes the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer plus several other members. The Friends meet quarterly and hold their annual meeting in May.
Current officers are:
Patrick Scalisi (President)
Corrina Palorino (Vice President)
Michelle Kemp (Secretary)
Bev Hudson (Treasurer)
Amanda Gilbertie (Membership/Social Media)
The Friends have three ways of raising funds:
1. Annual book sale, held in spring and fall of each year
2. Used book sale shelves in library
3. Membership dues
How can you help?
1. Volunteer to assist at annual book sale
2. Help maintain used book shelves
3. Sort used books for sale throughout year
4. Donate gently used books to library
5. Help with annual meetings
6. Volunteer in the library
7. Pay dues
8. Encourage others to join the Friends
9. Support fundraising projects
10. Start a new program or fundraiser
To become a member of the Friends, please click below. Complete the form by hand and mail it to the library with your membership fee. Or, you can pick up an application at the library and pay your membership fee with cash or check.
Mail applications to: Friends of the Library
Howard Whittemore Memorial Library
243 Church Street
Naugatuck, CT 06770